Monday 9 November 2015

A Frog's Tail - Chapter 3: Match the Skill set ( Building a Passionate Organization)


I asked “Sir, now I understand that H stands for Humility and U stands for Uncover The Hidden Talent”. What does M stand for in HUMAN?


He listened to me carefully and started as usual, this time he had to clean his throat because he just had a coffee. Boy M in Human stands for Match The Skill-set. NFI Research found that more than two-thirds of senior executives and managers say that the requirements for specific jobs do not extremely well match the people currently in those jobs. More than three-quarters of managers said that the jobs and the people in their organizations are not extremely well matched.

One of the biggest challenges of today’s business world is to match skills of an employee. It’s not having 3 lakh employees make great organization, a truly great organization has humans working for a purpose and organization has a bigger purpose as well.

I was thinking for myself how can he know so much about corporate world? I knew for a fact that each one of us at certain point in time have thought that there is something we are more passionate about. One of my friends who always dreamt of being a leadership trainer is now working as a Manager in a Software company. He told me recently that he did everything possible to move to leadership Training, every time I meet he told me about his work. He recently came and said that they have hired a leadership trainer from other company…

Now question you? How would you feel if you are in my friends? What would you do?

While I was thinking about my friend, my old new friend continued and said companies are looking outwards for talent, once they start looking inwards. The abundance of talent will astound them. I was stunned with his thought; I said you are very true Sir… Ancient thinking has to completely change, work is no more a standardized and repetitive task, work needs to make an individual creative. Work is constantly evolving; we operate in a challenging situation where products, services need to be innovated every second.


I interrupted and said “Sir Can you help us find some news of matching skills?

He was at his best when started, let me tell you a story which will help you in understanding Matching the skill clearly and also give you some Idea about how it can help the organization to look inwards.

Long ago once upon a time in South India, there was a forest. There lived all kinds of wild animals, they were happy because they were contended with resources available. As days passed by, human beings started slowly settling down. All animals gathered together to discuss about the situation and how they can save the forest, the only home ever for wild animals.

Loin ordered all to be at the meeting so that they can prepare a contingency plan to overcome the challenge. All types of animals were gathered, and chimpanzee was asked to host the meeting. Because it is considered as the smartest animal and an ape, the impressive intellectual abilities of this animal have long fascinated humans. They can make and use tools, hunt collectively, and are capable of advanced problem-solving. Chimpanzee began with a loud voice “Ladies and gentleman, we are all here because we have a great problem at hand. We have Human predators that are interrupting and spoiling our well build forest”. Now all of us need to work together and make sure we teach a lesson to these so called smart species on the planet.

Everyone started talking amongst themselves; some animals were unaware of the changes. And they began feeling insecure of the days ahead, Loin being the king of the forest stood and commanded “My dearest brothers and sisters, this is our land, our forest, and we deserve to live here”. We will do all that is possible to save this, no matter how and who we should fight against.” We have gathered as my friend Chimpanzee said, I would request all of you to come up with a strategy in two days to handle this situation. We will get back after two days same time and same place. All dispersed….

All animals went back home and started discussing amongst themselves whole night, they lost their sleep for next two days to come up with some thing interesting and innovative strategy. They were really scared; they weren’t sure how life will be tomorrow.

After two days animals gathered exactly at the same time, as usual Chimpanzee spoke “Thank you ladies and Gentleman for being here, its honor to have all of here with us”. As we all know we feel that tough times are ahead, and we want to look at options available so that we can fight. Now the meeting is open and you can make any suggestions you want…


Slowly wolf being the most cunning animal, stood up and bowed his head to the master of forest “Dear Sir, to overcome this challenge we need to hire couple of animals from other forest. They seem to have gone through the same challenges”. I have heard and read that they were able to stop Humans taking over the forest.”

Tiger being the bravest of all was little angry and said “not a thing, I m sure we can handle this… We don’t need any one perhaps what could an animal from other forest might know about ours”.

While all this is happening Rat stood up and said “Excuse me ladies and gentleman I have got a plan. I certainly agree with Tiger, when we have all the resources it makes no sense for us to look outside. I would request all of you to listen carefully to my plan and let us know if anything needs to be changed”.

Everyone is very curious they saw a great strategist in this small creature; I want a team to defend and defeat. A team of heroes of our times, a team which can die to fight for the land, a team of strong men, women, kids of all species to fight for the cause to live. I have found that humans are settling down near the cave, they have weapons which can kill any animal. We need to work together as a team, Dear respected Sir, we need a team of 30 eagles (Don’t ask me why he specifically said 30 numbers) to fly. Parrots are good at singing they will work as our communicators between different teams for us… I need 25 brave dears scattered near the village where humans reside. I need a strong team of loins, tigers and bears to attack when humans have lost the ground. And I need a team of elephants to crush their houses to the ground.

Every one was looking at this mini creature as if they have never seen; He went on saying here is the plan. We will have 25 dears scattered near the village, I m sure humans will shoot at them and they are creatures who like flesh a lot, while they shoot parrots signal the attack and in a blink of eye eagle will start flying and disturb humans so that our loved dears doesn’t get killed.  While all this is happening a group of loins and tigers will attack the humans from all angles possible, once we kill all of them Elephants will join the bandwagon and crush their houses, and if all goes well we are the winners and humans never dare again to snatch our homes.

Well we also need a match stick and some wood so that we can burn them all, because humans are wiser than us…

There was huge round of applause, and some said Bravo… Some even came and shook hands with Rat. Loin the king of the forest walked down and kissed the rat and said” from today we call this intelligent, shrewd and great rat as Chanakya”.


Everyone stood up and clapped, they were happy to see this plan and every one saw a leader in chanakya, they were hopeful of a better tomorrow.

He paused as if he had already made the point and looked at me, tell me “Sanjey what did you understand by the story”? This was the first time he addressed me by my name……..

I slowly opened my mouth; I had no time to listen because I was very busy in writing the story. I said “Sir, I understood if we work together even the smartest people can look like dumb. Chanakya was a great leader who found some unique qualities in each species. I felt that each one of us as different as those animals in that story, we have different back ground, culture, religion, belief, however if we Uncover the hidden talent and work together then we can win any war.

Bravo my boy “A learner must never miss anything at any time”…. He said… Now did you understand what I mean when I say Match The Skill-Set. I can guarantee you; people who work with you know what you are good at? But the problem with us is that we are all like crabs in a box. And I suppose we can say frogs in a well as well, who cannot think BIG. If that small rat knows the distinctive qualities of each animals then I m sure managers and leaders know very well what you are really good at…

As the wise man stopped and I asked him “How can I take and use this story in modern corporate world? How can they Match The Skill Set?

I understand young man, business is not charity and business never runs on emotions. It actually runs on numbers or as great CEO’s say on GROSS MARGIN. But think over it, if you think if a person is really good at some thing why don’t you support, nurture him. He will be an asset, brand ambassador for your company. An employee who loves what he is doing, and creativity lies in happiness.. There is no one who was sad when they found some thing great. A happy mind is a feast itself.

I got Sir added quickly “what do you think these organizations needs to do to Match The Skill-Set?

He paused for a while and said” I will give some points but as I said you should always dig deeper and wider to find more”…

Ø  River flows smoothly if it’s from hill top, Sr management and every one who is part of decision making they should get involved completely.

Ø  There has to be a reward for managers who Match The Skill-Set of their subordinates.

Ø  Teach your manager and leaders benefits of serving than managing.

Ø  We need to change our business depending upon what we are good at and create needs. Bill Gates did it so impeccably, he didn’t went ahead and sold Insurance rather he went ahead with what he loved and people liked everything he did.

Ø  Company needs to strategies its business not depending upon market rather depending upon employees.

Ø  Companies must think about employees seriously, happy employees make happy customers; happy customer make happy companies and happy companies make happy share holders.

Ø  Last but not the least, support every action taken to explore more.

Now that brings us to the next thing a company must to prosper in times of difficulty and succeed…

Meanwhile I was feeling cold, opened my bag to put on sweater. I could not believe in what I was listening to, I reckoned how the great Leader of all time felt, when he was enlightened under the Bodhi tree. I was thinking to myself for a while how great it would be If I were to meet wise people every day and spend some time with them.. As I was thinking a thought crossed over my mind “Let not a single day pass without your learning a verse, half a verse, or a fourth of it, or even one letter of it; nor without attending to charity, study and other pious activity. (Chanakya Arthashastra)

I was waiting for the wise man to start talking again, he saw me and his eyes were turned blue and he was ever smiling. I felt I haven’t seen face a like this ever in my life. I felt as if I was a dog long hungry, waiting for my master for a superb meal. What a rare sight of humility and compassion filled loved……




No comments:

Post a Comment