Friday 11 December 2015

A Frog's Tail - Chapter 4 - Building a Passionate Organization


Listen up carefully my boy he said, we have learned so far the importance of Humility, Uncovering The Hidden Talent and Matching The Skill-Set. We all know that it takes several months and years together to produce a nice harvest. A plant cannot offer shade to hundreds but a peeple tree can….

The problem with all major business houses of today, is that they expect results pretty quick. We are like people wanting baby in a night; we would not want to waste our time nourishing the baby. We want to him to be grown, mature are probably in a good Job in a month. Can this be possible?

I voluntarily said” no Sir, how can that be possible”… I know how every one wants quick success including myself.

I assume that he knew the answer as I stopped he was quick to add” On the same context once we have Uncovered the Talent and Matched The Skill-Set. We need to give some time to an employee to find and explore.

He stopped and asked me “what does your dad do”.

I said” Sir, he is a farmer.

Well that’s great news; he said, but I was shocked being a farmer’s son is never a great news. People look at me as if I m an alien, I still remember how my cousins use to treat me.. Because a farmer son in India is not worth a dime, they consider farming as the last option and only people who are not educated do farming..

He asked me” Do you know anything about farming”.

Well Sir I m a farmer’s son and I know bits and pieces about farming, I wanted to as honest as possible.

Explain me the process of Farming? He said…

Now I was feeling little intelligent here, I felt important because I m going to teach about farming to an old intellect. It’s great to teach an intellect, you feel great about yourself… I cleaned my throat and started as if I m a scientist and just found out the way to be Immortal.

Sir as I said earlier I know a little.. First thing my dad does is to clean the field and keep it ready for harvesting and sowing. Then in rainy season he will proceed with sowing, after about 25 days he will spray the fertilizers and some times pesticides. He will closely monitor the plant; he will go at least once a day to the farm to check the progress, if its required he will have workers working with him to remove the unwanted plants so that the crop doesn’t get affected. These unwanted plants can harm the growth of the crop hence affecting the yield of the crop.

The worst thing about a farmer, you have to closely monitor, and keep an eye on your crop as if you are raising a small baby. The more you care the better the crop… that’s what my dad said when I asked him last time.

He was patiently listening as if he never knew about all these things. His eyes and ears were wide open. I haven’t seen anyone listening with such curiosity and elegance.

I went on with the process of Farming, then when the crop is up for plucking we take the help of others and carefully pluck it.. After doing all these it’s not guaranteed that we get good returns it depends upon the market, and he some times stores the crop for at least a month or two for the right price…

He was patiently waiting for me to stop, that’s superb… you know all about farming, Employee Development similar to Farming…. As we learned in the previous chapter, Humility is nothing but cleaning the ground and keeping it ready for harvesting and sowing. Uncovering The Hidden Talent is nothing but sowing the crop, Matching The Skill-Set is nothing but removing unwanted plants from farm so to make sure that it grows effectively. You might ask me what does Achievable Target means. It basically means it takes time for the crop to give a great yield, until it does you have to wait, monitor, some times take others help, and guard it carefully. As your dad does you have to keep an eye and monitor, nurture, and destroy the bad influence so to make sure that you reap the desired result.

I was literally shocked by what I heard, actually Vivekananda what right ….. We know everything it’s just that we need to uncover. We need to explore and as my wise old friend dig deep and wide. Sir Isaac Newton said it aptly once “If I have seen further than others, it is only because I have stood on the shoulders of giants.”

I was getting more curious by now and asked “how do you think we need to set Achievable Goals to our employees”…

“ When you know where you want to go, your brain will guide you”… you don’t need to do anything apart from asking your asking yourself … how can I do that….

I will share some of the secrets about how to set Achievable goal that might help you, but as I said earlier… keep digging deep, and keep digging wider… There are several techniques to set and achieve goals that complement each other so you can use multiple techniques to increase the likelihood of achieving your goal. For an example Smart Goal setting model is just great, there is nothing wrong with that. Many organizations use this model however the success rate is very minimal. I will tell you how you can increase the success rate today….

Ø  Involve employees before setting up a goal, ask them, counsel them, help them…Goals must always have a purpose, a goal without purpose and clear definition of why we do that is never considered as a goal at all. The purpose of goal isn’t to be a superstar; the purpose of goal is better ourselves as Individuals.

Ø  Never set a vague goal, a goal must be specific and simple, we are not trying to solve a puzzle, and we are trying to get a step ahead so that we can solve an equation.

Ø  Consider this when you set a goal with purpose, there isn’t called failure… there is only learning……. And Einstein sweetly said “The day you stop learning you start dying”. You can never fail until you stop trying….

Ø  Get personal while you are setting Achievable Goals to your team, they should see and feel that there is some one who can steer us through the tough times.

Ø  Keep your team members and yourself informed about the difficulties they face, motivate them do never say It’s hard to do but let us see…

Ø  Creativity and innovation comes from Knowledge, motivation and environment, set a goal which unleash the beast, challenge their status quo, and challenge their belief.

Ø  A goal must see forward and inward, not backward and outward. Let me not confuse you… when I say inward and forward, Goal must take them from where they are to where they want to be, and they should feel that there self worth is bigger than anything else.

That’s all I suppose about setting Achievable goals, I would like to tell you a secret, listen to me carefully “The real purpose of a goal is to make you a human”, and other goals are just waste of time. You wouldn’t enjoy them for long… I could not….. And he paused…….

By this time, the time was already eleven “0” clock… Conductor opened the front door and said “here we go ladies and gentleman, we got a hotel hear if guys want to eat some thing you can, I suppose we will reach our destination little late today because of the heavy rain”…

I felt all were waiting for this stop because we were feeling hungry and I badly wanted to smoke a cigarette. First thing a smoker does whenever he gets time is to smoke Cigarette, rest is not important to him.

We got down I saw a hotel which might have been built in late 80, they had Gandhi, Subhas Chandra bose and Nehru’s picture hanging at the front door. And as usual all India houses have a picture of lady little bent, closed hands with a nice note… WEL – COME……

I was desperately searching for a place to smoke; I told my new old friend that I shall go for pee and he rather quickly said please… I ran and lit a cigarette and stood in dark and starting enjoying and polluting the air. While I was doing that I felt little insane about myself however I recollected what Gandhi had said “you must burn all which destroys humanity” and I was doing the same.. I was burning the bad thing and trying to create a great world.

I came back to the hotel and joined my mystic friend, he was busy in eating and I ordered a Dosa started seriously concentrating on eating.. We were hungry and famished and we really wanted to eat some thing…

Conductor started shouting again” Hello come back soon we shall leave this place, please check if there is any one missing”…

We all got back and sat in the bus….

Until Next Time... Learning Karma Be With You...














No comments:

Post a Comment