Friday 6 January 2017

Cost VS Benefit – Training & Development: Leadership Lesson




I have been working in different organization since the time I was born. Well you might think it’s a joke! But it is not… Let me tell you why? When I was a small kid my dad used to pay my pocket money depending upon my performance in the school. And that could be the same story with you, we have been trained, educated, and nurtured by different people in different stages of our life.

Now have grown & working for a Reputed, established brand with almost 10 years of Experience in Training & Development or Learning & Development (A Fancy word!!). Some may even define the difference between both. But that’s not what I want to talk in my today’s blog.

The point I want to make relates back to my early days of learning, we had no fancy schools, the one which you usually see in Karan Johar’s movies (Quiet a thing to be seen in a remote village). I was inducted or rather forced to study in a government school. And I honestly want to tell people that Government school teachers are no fools at all! For me they were the best and the way they taught and motivated me throughout my school days has bought me where I am.

Why is that many organizations, even when they have the best resources in Training & Development cannot make a real difference like the one which my teachers were able to do.

Lack of Vision:

With my experience working with different Managers/ leaders, I believe the key to ensure Training and Development is not cost rather Benefit. Leaders/ Managers are unable list down the clear vision and what is that they want to achieve.

Let me give you an example “Many a times business leader’s re very busy in listing down sales as the Priority and they fail to understand that ensuring skilled workforce will eventually achieve the so called Sales. This happened in an organization and they were unable utilize the workforce which they had hired.

If you are leading a training team it is imperative that you first list down the vision and align the team towards the vision and mission of the company.

Lack of Role clarity:  
Some organizations have clear definition of what is expected out of a Trainer/ Training Team. When you start a Training team it is very important that you list down the expectation clearly and communicate the same with the team members.

If they are not clear about the role then they can hardly achieve anything. And you will be wasting your organizational resources for doing random things. Which will not help the organization to achieve its goal.

Be firm with your decisions:

Trainer or Training Team Managers being always nice to business will never help you to make a mark and presence. Over a Period of time, everyone will know the kind of Value which is been added by Training Team. It is important to stick to your vision, role and ensure you deliver the desired result in the organization.

Any leader/ Manager will succeed if you are able to follow the above mentioned three tips. Many organization are feeling the heat of getting the wrong guy as a leader of Training and Development. Hire the right guy!! To lead the Team, you are paying for every resource.

That’s all for today, hope you enjoy the reading the blog. May learning Karma be with you!!

No comments:

Post a Comment