Monday 9 April 2012

Learn to serve


Before I could write my next blog, I would like to recall Chanakya for his beauty, he says " Brass is polished by ashes; copper is cleaned by tamarind; a woman, by her menses; and a river by its flow.

Over the past years of life I felt Last week has been really interesting in my life, I started doing what I really like to do!!. Firstly I would like to thank all of you for taking time to view my blogs perhaps some called me to share feedback with utmost honesty and condor. I was little skeptical about writting my next blog, I felt for a while " There is no one can make you happy niether they have guts to make you sad, the only person who can do that is YOU'.
I m sure everyone on this earths likes Friday nights, as sunsets at east. We start thinking "what should I do on this weekend?. We plan however almost all the planning fails because we end up doing some thing which we wouldn't want to. As usual I started my weekend on Saturday not on friday evening because I work till late evening on Friday, I swear it was one of my best saturdays of life time, I did a real crazy thing and met a person who sells Pulao and Rice bath in small Galli.

This small, dirty place, which doesn't carrry any name at all is always crowded, there sits a man. He is at his 60's, fat, has a big belly with big two vessels infront.. he looks like the king of that Dirty and not so interesting place.. I was curios about this Gentleman for some odd reasons, I wanted to know more about him and Business tactics so to improve my knowledge. I asked him couple questions about him... how can he be succcessfull selling pulao? where there are lot of shops in vicinity?. I had to wait almost an hour to speak this Gentleman because of sun rolling business was at its peak when I intruded him.

I have shared some of his tractics to build brand and stay in the business for long, his name is Ramanna, anyone who lives in this small city knows about his shop because he is been in this business for more than 50 years. He sells more pulao and rice bath than any one else can in this town.
I asked him politely, what is the secret of his business and success?

He said " I was doing my final year graduation, discontinued my studies and started this small shop. I sold tea, milk, coffee and Vada ( Its a south indian dish made of atta and other spices). He then ventured into selling food Items, and opened a shop near by to sell Pulao , Ricebath and Vada. There are no secrets of any business, "the day when you understand that serving people is more important than earning money, your business will flourish everyday". he continued saying that there customers who walk out without paying. He estimates that everyday at least 10 percent of people who eat don't pay. I felt for a while that if each one of us can understand that serving society is important!!! then this world would have been much better place to live on. " I m sure Tata did this and every successful business man does this", its no more a secret of fortune 500 companies. Even a small pulao seller in India knows that if you want to stay in the business for long then you have to serve the society", which some times is an uphill task for some of us.. Mark Twain said it aptly" Common sense is not so common to all".

His magnum opusa was so depth that I could feel my eyes were filled with tears, when he said his son studies Medical in Karnatak!!! isn't it superb!!! when you serve society, society serves you. He said manier have invaded his territory to succeed but they never could because "What is too heavy for the strong and what place is too distant for those who put forth effort? What country is foreign to a man of true learning? Who can be inimical to one who speaks pleasingly - Chanakya in his historic Artha Shastra.. He said as the gold is tested manier times likewise every business man who wants to earn and learn is tested, those are the stupid and cowards who run from the battle field.

Ramanna possess all that a great business needs to have, he has the most courtsey smile and the most dangerous look to compliment. One day if each business house realises this fact then I m sure we would not living in a world where every one shuts his shop next day.
 

No comments:

Post a Comment